Sunday, May 13, 2012

Duck Rescue!

Attend the tale of the Great Conservice Duck Rescue of 2012! (title borrowed from the video title.)

So, Friday started out as a pretty normal day at work...but turned out to be pretty exciting! There I was, minding my own business and typing away with my headphones on, when I noticed a couple of my coworkers standing by the windows. They seemed to be watching something across the road very intently. I didn't think much of it until I realized that several people across the office were looking out the window, yelling out exclamations every few seconds. I decided to get up and investigate.

I couldn't figure out what was going on at first, so I had to ask my coworker. She replied that there was a mother duck across the street who had started out with 14 ducklings walking down the gutter. Apparently, they were on their way to the creek a ways off when a sewer drain got in their way. One by one, all but one of the ducklings had fallen down the sewer drain! As I watched, the final duckling fell down the drain and I joined in the painful yelling in which the entire department was now taking part.

None of us really knew what to do. Should we call animal control? 911? Someone stated that if the water was going down in the sewer, the ducklings probably has been washed away. This caused several of us to feel very sad.

Suddenly, we saw someone running down the sidewalk and toward the ducks. It was one of our own! This brave young man was going to save the ducks! It was incredible! He laid down in the gutter and stuck his arm in, immediately rescuing the first few ducklings. This led us to believe that the gutter wasn't all that deep, but soon we saw him climb down into the sewer! It was so deep that we could only see him from the shoulders up. More ducklings were saved.

Meanwhile, another guy from work had left and was walking home. He stopped to help, pulling out the remainders of his lunch and tearing bread from his sandwich to lure more of the ducklings to safety. He also assisted in keeping the mother duck and ducklings away from the open sewer (that's what was going on when it appears that he is kicking the duck in the video - he was not injuring the ducks).

Soon enough, Animal Control did appear on the scene, apparently someone had called them after all. The officer loaded the ducks into a kennel of sorts; we believe he safely transported the ducks to their destination. We didn't see because we were called back to work. A few minutes later, the duck rescuer returned to the building, where applause rang out.  And now...enjoy the video, courtesy of my coworker:

At the very end, you can hear our boss telling us it was time to get back to work. I thought it was pretty cool of her to let us watch for a while, though. Hurray for my new workplace!

As always, thanks for reading.

1 comment:

Etts a Beautiful Life said...

That's amazing! How sweet!