Friday, March 9, 2012

Arrrrrgggh!

No, I am not a pirate. I am just very, very frustrated. As mentioned in my earlier blog post, I am in need of  a new laptop. I filed my taxes last night, so I officially gave myself permission to start seriously shopping. I started by checking top ten lists of laptop brands online. The brand of the laptop my mother received for Christmas came up near the top several times, so I decided that would be a good choice, but I looked through the reviews on an electronics store's website and the reviews were like night and day: either people loved their laptop or it had died on them two months in.

In addition to my confusion over the quality of the brand, I found that was easily confused just by the specifications of the laptops. I've come to realize that I know next to nothing about computers. How am I supposed to know which features are worth paying more money to get? I don't use my laptop for much  (writing, blogging, web surfing [though I've considered getting Photoshop sometime]), but I use it for long amounts of time, so it needs to be good for heavy use.

I think the reason I'm so frustrated is that usually I'm a very informed shopper. Whether it be clothing, food, books, movies... I know exactly what I'm looking for and can tell the quality of my prospective purchase. In the case of electronics, I am like a fish out of water. I am like a fish that got blown out of the water and stuck in front of a high-powered fan, imprisoned in the stocks!

Grrr. Anyway, if anyone has any pearls of wisdom to share, I would be super grateful. Please help me get back into the water!

1 comment:

Alisha P said...

As far as laptops go, we love our Macbook Pro. I'm not a strictly Mac person. I can go either and have both. But the battery life has been awesome and no issues with viruses ever (important for a lot of time 'online'). I know they can be pricy, but they hold their value. Also, if you know anyone going to USU, they can get one for you with their student discount (saves quite a bit). I don't like using laptops that aren't Mac. They just work well. Good luck shopping.