Sunday, March 18, 2012

Passive-ness of the Non-Irish

As you must know, yesterday was St. Patrick's day.  St. Patrick's Day is an interesting holiday to me, what with its celebration being largely watered down in many parts of the country. Some of you out there may drink green beer or join a parade, but most of the people I know just go with the wearing of green.  I myself used the day as an excuse to wear my argyle knee socks and green eye shadow.

On this day I was, of course, at work. During a lull in the exciting retail action, I took a look around and noticed how many people were wearing green and it struck me that St. Patrick's Day might be the most passively celebrated holiday. All you have to do is throw on some green and call it good. It only requires a moment of thought, and then you're done for the day. There's absolutely zero activity needed for the rest of the day, and the best part is that you don't even have to go out and buy something new, assuming of course that you already own something in the verdant family. I don't know of any other holiday where slapping on a particular color counts for full participation. Just saying.

Anyway, there's my random rant for the day. Stay tuned for the next post: the ideas are still floating around in my head, but it involves Han Solo, Flynn Rider, Mal Reynolds...and a Venn diagram.

1 comment:

Emily Shepherd said...

At work I only saw half the people wearing green and I was shocked to find out that a lot of my coworkers didn't know what the holiday was about.