Saturday, December 12, 2009

"You are Secretly Funny": My Review of "The Princess and the Frog"

I just realized that I titled this post the same way I title my English essays. Sad... Moving on. I absolutely loved "The Princess and the Frog". I went today with my brother's family to see this film because my 3 - almost 4- year old niece is absolutely obsessed with Princess Tiana, even though she had yet to see the movie.

I knew, going into the movie, that Tiana would be a different kind of princess, apart from the fact that she's African-American. Tiana is a girl who has worked for what she wants in the real world. She a no-nonsense girl who doesn't really have time for fun - but she does have a killer soul voice inside of her. She is fabulous, and of course learns her lesson in the end and lives happily ever after.

Can we talk about the prince now? I would like to submit that there has not been such a dreamy male cartoon since Dimitri in "Anastasia" (come on, ladies, you know what I'm talking about). Plus, he plays a mean ukulele, and that accent? Be still my sheltered Utah heart! (Let's face it, there's an extreme lack of hunky accents here). He also has a charming cockiness that makes all the cloche-wearing gals swoon. Love it.

A word of caution: the voodoo scenes get a little intense, involving some creepy shadow demons. My sister-in law had to cover my niece's eyes a few times. Beware.

Generally, I loved this movie. The music was great, and the frog romance...well I don't see how anyone could get enough of that. You should probably go see this movie and become a fan of the latest Disney princess.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

sounds good, do you think my 6 year old (Seth) would like it also.

Michelle said...

Possibly, if stuff doesn't scare him too easily.