Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Checking back in...

Hello, 2016!

Okay, I'll admit it: the Wizarding Wednesday thing sort of failed. It was fun while it lasted, though! It just wasn't very fun trying to stick to a schedule like that (okay, that sounds lame. Whatev).

Some of you may know that I take the Jeopardy online contestant test every year. It's probably been six or seven years since I started. I know I probably won't get on, but it's fun to take it and see how I do (side note: Jeopardy doesn't actually tell you how you do; you have to have someone take pictures and then Google the answers afterward).

My average score has been in the high twenties (out of 50). I think the minimum needed for an in-person audition is about 35, but that's not what this story is about. Last year, I got 19 out of 50. I know this will sound ridiculous, but I was heartbroken. It felt like my intelligence had slipped. I was two years into my current position, and while I still mostly enjoyed where I was, I knew that I was slipping. I knew that my brain was turning to mush from the stress of my job. I was tired of constantly putting out fires and never making any headway. It was no longer a good fit for me. (Please note that I said not a good fit; I have nothing against the position itself. I still have friends on that team and know that they love where they are.)

Shortly after this, I got a promotion! I moved from client relations to leadership, and I love it even more than I thought I would. I love working face to face with people. I love knowing that I'm making a difference. Most of all, I love knowing that my actions directly impact my team for permanent solutions. Despite being in a management role, this last year has been much less stressful.

A couple of weeks ago, I took the Jeopardy test and got 29 out of 50, one of my best scores yet. It felt really good to be back in good mental condition. This past year, I haven't felt like my brain was mush. I haven't felt the need to come home and switch my brain off. I feel excited about the work I'm doing and eager to go in every day. And it's lovely.

I have a feeling that 2016 will be a good year. Of course, that all depends on me and what I do with the year ahead of me. I'm hoping to have more motivation to share the year with you, dear readers, but no promises (Wizarding Wednesday, RIP...unless I feel like reviving it here and there). It does feel good to write, though.

Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

Scotty said...

I keep thinking I should try that online quiz thing. It´d be fun. I could definitely answer questions like "It's what FTL means in the game called FTL, about hyperspace and traveling star to star, etc." Silly collage kids.