Tuesday, November 23, 2010

The Twin That Was Born 21 Months After Me

I was born in July of 1985. Twenty-one months later, my twin was born. Who is this twin, you ask? Why, my younger brother, of course. How could this be, you ask? Well, I'll tell you. It is due mainly to the gross misconceptions of the public at large.

I was reminded of this state of twin-ship while texting my aforementioned brother earlier this evening. Bret (my "twin") had texted to tell me about something he remembered while watching the old cartoon version of "The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe" and then proceeded to mention "Prince Caspian". Unbeknowst to each other, Bret and I texted each other how we hated how Peter was a whiny kid who didn't wait for Aslan and staged a suicide mission that involved leaving many behind (this angers us greatly because it was so NOT in the book!). Bret remarked that we were practically twins, and memories ensued....

This is me with my brother. I realize that we're really...smiley in this pic, but I don't have a lot of pictures with the two of us, so here it is. We look similar, right? Similar enough to be, I don't know, maybe, siblings? But twins?

It all began, my mother has told me, on the Fourth of July, 1987. Bret was three months old, and I was nearly two. I was walking and Bret was, quite clearly, not. A woman behind my mother had the audacity (and, may I add, sheer asininity) to ask my mother if Bret and I were twins. Seriously? SERIOUSLY?

Now, in the defense of the ridiculous fireworks woman, I was born early and continued to be very short for a good portion of my life. Also, before I discovered hair color Bret and I had nearly identical coloring. As the years went by, many others asked if we were twins, so I really can't get too upset about it, except for the fact that I think you should be able to tell newborns and toddlers apart...just saying.

Incidentally, no one thinks that Bret and I are twins anymore. It may be related to the fact that Bret is now like 6' 3" or something and I'm like 5' 2". I've actually had people ask if my younger sister and I are twins...even though she's five years younger than me (other people ask if I'm the younger sister). I guess maybe I just look really young?

Oh well. As long as, as Bret pointed out, we don't go around wearing matching outfits, we'll be okay.

P.S. No one has ever suspected that my older brother and I are twins. Of course, he's blond and hazel-eyed and was always hecka tall. I'd wonder if he's adopted, but that's more likely to be Heather because she's the one that doesn't like Neil Diamond.

2 comments:

Allen and Co. said...

Michelle, I absolutely love your posts. They make me laugh and brighten my day. I love that the defining factor in Heather possibly being adopted in not liking Neil Diamond! But seriously, who doesn't like Neil Diamond?

Michelle said...

Thanks! That Neil Diamond line is something Bret and I have been saying for years.

P.S. That picture of Bret and me was actually taken outside of your wedding reception!