Saturday, June 12, 2010

You Don't Mess Around with Jim or, in this case, Journey

Since the beginning of time, people have been doing song covers (How's that for a ridiculous essay opener? Somewhere, my former English professors are feeling the urge to scream and they don't know why). Even back in medieval times, bards and minstrels put their own spins on the songs that were part of the oral tradition of the time. In the days of Frank Sinatra and Rosemary Clooney, it seemed like everyone sang the same songs in their own way. Sometimes, the best way for an artist to get started is to cover songs, and there are even bands that only perform covers of songs, some dedicated to one single band or artist.

Of course, there are rules in the world of song covering. These rules are in place to protect the hallowed halls of the musical canon, and to avoid a serious backlash for the ambitious artists. One of these rules is to tread very, very lightly when dealing with the sort of song that has become a legend. The kind of song that has the power to unite the entire world, party, or just the group in a car in the cause of singing the beloved words at the top of their lungs in an everlasting salute to the musical geniuses that brought forth the beauty flowing forth from the speakers. You know what I mean?

One such song is "Don't Stop Believin' " by Journey. Perhaps you've heard of it, as it is only one of the greatest songs of all time. As such, it's understandable that any and all musicians may want to play it. Within the first few notes, the audience in attendance will inevitably start cheering with excitement. Here's the catch, though. The song needs to be performed pretty dang close to the original arrangement. I'm not saying that it needs to be exactly the same; that wouldn't really be fair to creative musicians all over the world. All I ask is that it stays pretty close to the original spirit of the song.

What I take issue with (wait, was that a quote from "Sherlock Holmes"?) is the blatant re-creation of this cherished song into something that barely resembles the original masterpiece. This train wreck was, rather forcefully, introduced to me via the music played at my place of employment, the JCP. I heard the intro and thought "Hey! They're playing one of the greatest songs of all time!", but I quickly realized how very, very wrong I was. Shortly after realizing that the music itself was quite different, I heard a voice (although at this moment, memory clouded by my annoyance and outrage, I can't recall whether I heard the whiny boy or whiny girl first) that was certainly not Steve Perry, no not even close. It was....the voice of a Glee cast member.

Now, I should probably take a moment to explain that I have no hard feelings towards Glee and their various cover songs. Although I have never seen the show, I plan to and I'm sure I'll really love it. In fact, I may even enjoy their version of this practically sacred song, but that will only be within the confines of that episode. The thing is, Glee has invaded the radio waves of JCP! I swear that we play like four or five different songs from that show and it's driving me crazy! Recently I've taken to, upon hearing a suspicious cover of a song, calling my dear friend Becca, down in the men's department to find out if the song is from Glee, and it always is. Tonight, I actually just yelled out her name after we had closed because I didn't know where she was. She yelled back that we were, indeed, listening to Glee. You may, at this point, imagine me saying "Glee" with the same amount of distaste that Jerry Seinfeld employed when saying "Newman!"

Why, JCP, why???

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Bahahaha!! Michelle, my dear, you are absolutely brilliant. I feel like a celebrity now that I've been mentioned in your blog *Special! * :) Wonderful.

Scotty said...

Oh man!!! First few paragraphs I thought you were going to say something bad about my band. Thank goodness it took that direction. :)

Also, there was a Scrubs episode that revolved around that song a bit, but they used the original. Except at the beginning as JD was singing it comically after sneakily being ousted by Turk and Carla that he is an insane Journey fan.

Michelle said...

Becca: You are a rock star ;)

Scotty: I would never say anything bad about your band, especially knowing that you read my blog. You guys rock. Also, I'm going to have to check out that episode of Scrubs.

Melissa said...

First of all, I LOVE that song by Journey!! It really is one of the best songs of all time!
Secondly, the radio at my place of employment has also been invaded by Glee. I think it's becoming an epidemic. Most of the songs that they have redone are fine, except for a few, including this one.
Thirdly, I think that we all get comfortable with the version of a song that we first hear. Then, when we hear another rendition, it can be somewhat unsettling to hear the song "ruined and shredded to bits" by that musician. This is not always the case, but it happens every now and again. At least for me it does.

That is all.

Michelle said...

Thank you for your support, Melissa. I agree with each of your points.

Emily Donna said...

Thank you for posting about this! lol!

Emily :)