Wednesday, July 1, 2015

A Tale of Two Cakes

Cake the First

Once upon a time, I had the whooping cough. Just kidding. I did, however, have a cough for a very long time over the winter. It had been going on for a few weeks when some friends at work started to become concerned. One friend stated that it was probably a whooping cough, which was also known as the 100 days cough, and at the end of 100 days, you die (that last part he made up...probably).

We decided to count off 100 days from the beginning of my cough to see if I was still alive at the end. I marked off the date on my Google calendar, and "invited" a bunch of people. Another friend declared that she would buy me a cake if I survived.

Well, 100 days passed, and I was still alive! My friend kept her word and purchased the cake below, confusing the person decorating it at the bakery (she purchased the dogs separately and put them on herself).




Cake the Second

Did you know that this year is the 800th anniversary of the signing of the Magna Carta? Well, it is. Yet another friend at work was discussing this with cake-buying friend (Rachel) and I and sharing his excitement. A few days before the exciting day, I had to schedule a meeting with him and pulled up his Google calendar. I noticed he had "Magna Carta Party" scheduled during work, but when I asked him about it, he remarked that the people who were going to come to the "party" had bailed. Rachel and I decided that we should have a cake, and also that we should give him a card to commemorate the day. Here is the cake (causing confusion again to the bakery):



And here is the card:



It says " Yo, I know you're declaring your independence, and I'ma let you finish, but the Magna Carta was the best historical document of all time".

Here's the inside:



The "Great" is because Magna Carta is Latin for "Great Charter".

It was a lovely party, and all day long I wished people "Happy Magna Carta Day" and had to explain that to most people. It was a grand time.


No comments: