Thursday, October 17, 2013

"I feel the earth move under my feet..."

Actually it was my desk that I felt, under my hands.

I was at work this morning, typing an e-mail on my computer, when my desk started moving from side to side.  At first, I didn't know what was happening. I had heard a large truck drive by seconds before, and the thought briefly crossed my mind that maybe that had caused the movement (like when you're in the turning lane on a highway...I know, it was a crazy thought).  I realized that this was highly unlikely, as I sit on the second floor of a decently sized building (at least large enough to withstand a passing truck).

Anyway, as my desk continued to sway from side to side, reality sinks in: this...is an earthquake.  Up until today, I had never felt an earthquake, hence the slow understanding of the situation.  My desk swayed back and forth 3 or 4 times, and then it was over as mysteriously as it began.  Well, not too mysteriously.  The good people of science were all on top of things, so that mere moments later we were able to find information on the internet, such as the fact that this particular earthquake was a 3.6 and the location of the epicenter.  Pretty nifty.

So there it is.  My very first earthquake.  I know that it's not a very exciting story, and maybe no one will even care to read it, but I wanted to have it recorded because it counts as a historical moment in my life.

Thanks for reading.

1 comment:

Scotty said...

I was out of town so I didn't feel it, but my wife said she heard the windows rattled a little bit and my 2 cats totally freaked out for a second.